Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme

The Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme (YMS) allows young people to come and experience life in the United Kingdom for up to two (2) years. Young UK nationals will also be able to benefit from similar opportunities in participating countries.

The YMS is for young applicants wanting to come and experience life in the UK.

Applicants should be between (18-30) years and national of Australia, Canada, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Republic of Korea, San Marino or Taiwan. They should also meet the maintenance or financial requirement to meet the potential costs of living in the UK.

Visa Entitlements

Successful applicants will be able to live and work (including au pair placements and voluntary work) in the UK for two (2) years under the YMS. . An applicant can leave and come back to the UK at any time during their stay. An applicant can also study full-time on a Tier 5 (Youth mobility scheme) visa.

  • Rights of Dependantsv
    • Dependants (including children under 18 years of age) or (husband, wife, civil partner, unmarried partner or same-sex partner) will not be eligible to live and stay in the UK with the main applicant.

      Applicant should not have any children under the age of 18 who are either living with them or for whom they are financially responsible.

      Although spouses or partners of the main applicants may not enter the United Kingdom as their dependants, they may enter if they qualify and obtain entry clearance in their own right under the YMS, or qualify for entry in another capacity.

  • Conditions of Stayv
    • Applicants will have the following conditions attached to their leave:

      • No recourse to public funds;
      • Registration with the police, if applicable;
      • Employed as a professional sportsperson (including as a sports coach) or as a doctor in training

      Applicants can only be self-employed if:

      • They  do not own permanent premises from which they do their business (other than their home);
      • The total value of their equipment that they use in their business is not worth more than £5,000; and
      • They do not have employees.
  • How long can I stay?v
    • Applicants are allowed to stay in the UK only for two (2) years. While they are in the UK under the YMS, they can switch into any other category of the points-based system (like Tier 1 or Skilled Worker Visa or Tier 4).

  • Can I apply for settlement?v
    • Applicants cannot apply for permission to settle in the UK (also known as 'Indefinite Leave to Remain') from Tier 5, and time spent in any tier 5 category will not count towards any application for settlement that applicant make in the future.

  • Where can I apply for the Youth Mobility Scheme?v
    • Applicants cannot apply for YMS while in the UK, they have to apply from overseas and have an entry clearance.

      Applicants may apply for entry clearance in the country or territory of which they are a national. They may also apply to a post in a country or territory where they are staying at the time of application, even if this is not their normal place of residence, provided that the following conditions are met:

      • The British Diplomatic post  is authorised to accept entry clearance applications for YMS; and
      • Are able to demonstrate to the Entry Clearance Officer that at the date of the application applicant have the authority to stay in that country or territory; and this  authority was granted for a period of more than 6 months.
  • Biometric Requirementv
    • Non-EEA nationals applying under Intra Company visa have to apply for a biometric residence permit.

      The biometric residence permit is a residence permit which holds a migrant's biographic details (name, date and place of birth) and biometric information (facial image and fingerprints), and shows their immigration status and entitlements while they remain in the UK. This also means that a UK visa will no longer be stamped in the applicant's passport and all applicants will be issued one of the new Biometric visa cards instead. These cards look very similar to a (pink) UK driving license, except they have a microchip in the back.

      Once the application for Intra Company visa is submitted online, applicants are required to attend their biometric appointment at one of the Visa Application Centers to provide their fingerprints, photo and signature.

      Successful offshore applicants will receive a 30 day' vignette sticker' in their passport instead of a vignette with the full grant of leave. This 30-day visa will be the date they indicated as their intended travel date in their visa application. Applicants under Skilled worker visa will be required to collect their BRP from the Post Office branch detailed in their decision letter within ten days of arrival in the UK. The Post Office branch is linked to the postcode that they submitted in their visa application. The BRP card can then be used as proof of right to work, study and access public services in the UK.

  • Immigration Health Surchargev
    • The Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) was introduced by the Home Office on 6th April 2015. People (non-EEA) coming to the UK for more than six months have to pay this health surcharge as a part of their immigration application towards the National Health Service (healthcare in the UK).  

      Offshore applicants will have to pay the health surcharge if they are applying for a visa for a period of longer than six months, and onshore applicant will have to pay the health charge for any length of visa.

      Applicants will have to pay £150 per year as a student or £200 per year for all other visa and immigration applications. Dependants will usually need to pay the same amount as the main applicant. The exact amount they have to pay depends on how much leave they are granted. They can calculate how much they will have to pay before you apply. If the period of grant applied for is less than 6 months, then half of the yearly amount to be paid and if the period of grant applied for is more than 6 months, then whole year amount is to be paid.

      Visa application will not be granted if applicants do not pay the healthcare surcharge or application will be delayed if the right amount is not paid.

      Following persons are exempted to pay the IHS:

      • Applicants applying for a Tier 2 (Intra-company Transfer) visa and their dependants;
      • Applicant under 18 who has been taken into care by a local authority;
      • Applicants who arenationals of Australia or New Zealand;
      • Dependant of a member of the UK’s armed forces;
      • Dependant of a member of another country’s forces who is exempt from immigration control; and
      • Applicants of a relevant civilian employee employed by North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO) or the Australian Department of Defence in the UK and their dependants. 
  • Government Feesv
    • Home Office fees for the Youth Mobility Scheme Visa Application
        Postal  Super Priority Service Overseas
      Main Appplicant N/A N/A £244.00
  • Our Fees  v
    • Service                  Fees (GBP)
      Manage your application          £50
      Standard or Postal- Full representation service £500
      Super Priority Service - Minus Representation N/A
      Super Priority Service- Full Representation N/A
      Document Verification Service £150
      Telephone Consultation £100 per/hour
      Face to Face consultation £100 per/hour
      Form Filling Service £150 per application
      * For full description of the services, please refer to our 'Services' section on our website.
  • Processing Timesv
    • In line with the Home Office service standards for processing UK visa applications for Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme visa, they decide within 3 weeks if applying from the outside UK.

help Which Visa ?


I'm coming to UK to