UK Work Visa

The UK Work Visa categories are for the non-European migrants who want to work and live in the UK. Most of the work-based categories are part of the UK's Points-Based System (PBS) for immigration since 2008. Each category within the system has its own purpose, criteria and requirements. The PBS has been developed to help the UK to manage its migration programme more effectively and attracting the most talented workers.

The Work Visa categories have been divided into following subcategories:

Tier 1 Visa - High-value migrants

This category is for exceptionally talented applicants and highly skilled workers who wish to come and live in the UK without any job offer or sponsor. The following are considered as high valued migrants: innovators, entrepreneurs, investors, highly skilled individuals and post-graduates in the UK, Some of the categories that fall under this are Global Talent Visa, Innovator Visa, Entrepreneur Visa and Highly Skilled Migrant Programme (HSMP).

Tier 2 Work Permit for Skilled Workers

Applicants with a skilled job offer in the UK, e.g. doctors, engineers, management consultants, social workers, accountants etc. Prospective employer of these applicants should be willing to sponsor them. Categories like Skilled Worker Visa (replacing Tier 2 (General), Tier 2 (Minister of religion),Tier 2 (Sportsperson),and Tier 2 (Intra-company transfer) fall under this heading.

Tier 5 Temporary workers

The Tier 5 scheme of the Points Based System (PBS) is designed to allow temporary workers to come to the United Kingdom to undertake short-term and temporary work. Under this scheme, applicant will require a sponsor or be a national of a country that participate as in the youth mobility scheme. Temporary workers includes Creative and Sporting, Charity, Religious, Government Authorised Exchange, International Agreement and Youth Mobility Scheme etc.

Other categories

Applicants can also come and work in the UK as a domestic worker; as the sole representative of an overseas firm; or as a representative of an overseas newspaper, news agency or broadcasting organisation, or on a BNO visa or on an Ancestry routes. These categories are non-point based.

Ancestry Visa

Ancestry visa allows applicants from Commonwealth citizen, with a grandparent was born in the UK, to come and live in the UK without any work restrictions.

More Details

British National Overseas (BNO) visa

The BNO visa allows people from Hong Kong with BNO status to live, work and study in the UK.

More Details

Skilled Worker Visa

The Skilled Worker visa replaces Tier 2 (General) visa. This category allows applicants with a skilled job offer from a UK based company to come and live in the UK to do that job.

More Details

Global Business Mobility (GBM) Visa

This category caters for employees of multinational companies who are being transferred by their overseas employer to a UK branch of the organisation.

More Details

Tier 5 (Youth Mobility Scheme) visa

The Tier 5 (Youth Mobility Scheme) gives an opportunity to young people from participating countries and territories wishing to come and experience life in the UK.

More Details

help Which Visa ?


I'm coming to UK to