Tier 4 (Child) visa

Applicants under the Tier 4 (Child) category are the children between four and 17 years old who wishes to be educated in the UK. Children between four and 15 years old must be educated at independent fee-paying schools.

Applicants under the Tier 4 (Child) student must have 40 points of the points assessment:-

  • 30 points for having a valid confirmation of acceptance for studies (CAS), which is given by the approved education provider; and
  • 10 points for cover the course fees and living costs (or the maintenance funds).
Visa Entitlements

Successful applicants will be allowed to stay in the UK for the full length of their course, and for some time (depending on the type and length of their course) after their course finishes.

  • What type of course can I study?v
    • Applicants under the Tier 4 (Child) visa can undertake the following courses in the UK:-  

      • Taught in line with the National Curriculum; or
      • Taught in line with the National Qualification Framework (NQF); or
      • Accepted as being the same academic level as the National Curriculum or the
      • National Qualification Framework by Ofsted (England), the Education and Training
      • Inspectorate (Northern Ireland), Her Majesty’s Inspectorate of Education (Scotland) or Estyn (Wales); or
      • Taught in line with existing (also known as prevailing) independent school education inspection standards; or
      • Pre-sessional courses to prepare you for your main course of study.
  • How long can you stay?v
    • Applicants under 16 years: -Applicants who under  16 years old can stay here in the UK for the full  length of the course, up to a maximum of six (6) years.

      Applicants aged 16 or 17 years old:- Applicants aged between 16 or 17 years old can stay here in the UK for the full length of the course, up to a maximum of three years.

  • Rights of Dependantsv
    • Applicants under a Tier 4 (Child) cannot bring their husband or wife or civil partner or other partner, in the UK as their dependant.  If these dependants want to come with you to the UK, they must make their own application, which may be in a different immigration category.

      A child who is a student  cannot have any children who live with them or for whom they are financially responsible.

  • Can I bring my parents?v
    • Applicant  who is under 12 years can bring their parent to the UK. The parent needs to apply for a special visitor category under Parent of Children at School.

  • Can I work?v
    • Applicants under the age of 16 years old cannot work at all during their time in the UK. Those applicants who are over the age of 16 years old, they are allowed to work if it is:  

      • Part-time during term-time, which is no more than 10 hours a week;
      • Full-time during vacations;
      • On a work placement as part of the course, providing the work placement does not
      • exceed 50% of the course;
      • As a student union sabbatical officer for up to two years.
  • Conditions of Stayv
    • Applicants will have the following conditions attached to their leave:  

      • No recourse to public funds;
      • Registration with the police, if applicable;
  • What is my immigration status while my application is pending?v
    • If applicants submit their application before their authorised stay ends, their existing immigration status will continue until their application is decided, even if the decision is not made until after the end of their permitted stay. Applicant can continue to work until their case is decided if the conditions of their existing leave allow them to do so.

  • Biometric Requirementv
    • Foreign nationals from outside the European Economic Area making certain applications to the Home Office have to apply for a biometric residence permit. This applies to both postal applications and applications made in person (known as ‘premium applications’). The biometric residence permit is a residence permit which holds a migrant’s biographic details (name, date and place of birth) and biometric information (facial image and fingerprints), and shows their immigration status and entitlements while they remain in the UK. This also means that a UK visa will no longer be stamped in applicant’s passport and all applicants will be issued one of the new Biometric visa cards instead.  These cards look very similar to a (pink) UK driving license except they have a microchip on the back.

      Applicants who wish to extend their stay in the UK by post, the Home Office will send them a letter asking them to enrol their biometrics after the Home Office have received their application. Applicants will be able to enrol their biometric information one of the Post Offices offering this service across the UK using their walk-in service.

      Applicants who are submitting their application in person can do this at one of the Public Enquiry Offices by using the premium service. Applicants will enrol applicants’ biometric information at the same time as making their application.

      For application submitted overseas, the applicants have to provide their biometric enrolment at one of the Visa Facilitation Centres. Successful applicants will receive a 30 day ‘vignette sticker’ in their passport instead of a vignette with the full grant of leave. This 30 day visa will be the date they indicated as their intended travel date in their visa application. Applicants will be required to collect their BRP from the Post Office branch detailed in their decision letter within ten days of arrival in the UK. The Post Office branch is linked to the postcode that they submitted in their visa application. The BRP card can then be used as proof of right to work, study and access public services in the UK.

  • Immigration Health Surchargev
    • The Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) was introduced by the Home Office on 6th April 2015. People (non-EEA) coming to the UK for more than six months have to pay this health surcharge as a part of their immigration application towards the National Health Service (healthcare in the UK).
      Offshore applicants will have to pay the health surcharge if they are applying for a visa for a period of longer than six months, and onshore applicant will have to pay the health charge for any length of visa.

      Applicants will have to pay £150 per year as a student or £200 per year for all other visa and immigration applications. Dependants will usually need to pay the same amount as the main applicant. The exact amount they have to pay depends on how much leave they are granted. They can calculate how much they will have to pay before you apply. If the period of grant applied for is less than 6 months, then half of the yearly amount to be paid and if the period of grant applied for is more than 6 months, then whole year amount is to be paid.

      Visa application will not be granted if applicants do not pay the healthcare surcharge or application will be delayed if the right amount is not paid.

      Following persons are exempted to pay the IHS:

      • Applicants applying for a Tier 2 (Intra-company Transfer) visa and their dependants;
      • Applicant under 18 who has been taken into care by a local authority;
      • Applicants who arenationals of Australia or New Zealand;
      • Dependant of a member of the UK’s armed forces;
      • Dependant of a member of another country’s forces who is exempt from immigration control; and
      • Applicants of a relevant civilian employee employed by North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO) or the Australian Department of Defence in the UK and their dependants. 
  • Government Feesv
    • Home Office fees for Tier 4 (Child) Application
        Postal  Same day Overseas
      Main Appplicant £475.00 £1,275.00 £348.00
      Partner & Child (<18years), applying together £475.00 £1,275.00 £348.00
      Partner & Child, applying later £475.00 £1,275.00 £348.00  
  • Processing Timesv
    • In line with the Home Office service standards for processing UK visa applications, they decide 90 per cent of non-settlement applications within 3 weeks, 98 per cent within 6 weeks and 100 per cent within 12 weeks of the application date.

      Applicants apply for the Same Day at one of Public Enquiry Office (PEO) in the UK; the application is normally decided on the same day.

help Which Visa ?


I'm coming to UK to